Portage College is hiring high school and college/university students into summer jobs from May to August. These positions are in partnership with the Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP) as a way to create opportunities for students to build meaningful work experience, increase skills and to help create a strong workplace foundation for the students.
We’re hiring up to 7 students as office workers at the College. Here are the details on the job.
We’re looking for students who have strong customer service skills and a desire to gain professional office experience. Opportunities may be available in the following departments: Student Services, Continuing Education (ConEd), Finance, Corporate Communications, Information Technology (IT), Human Resources and the College’s Museum of Aboriginal Peoples’ Art and Artifacts.
Responsibilities vary by position, but could include communicating with customers, employees, students and other individuals to answer questions and explain information; Receive and direct visitors, answer phones, direct calls and take messages; Compile, copy, sort and file records of office activities, business transactions and other activities; Operate office machines; Prepare correspondence, report statements and other materials; Assist with PR activities and College events; and provide IT support.
• At least 15 years of age and an Alberta resident with an Alberta address.
- A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada. Please note international students and temporary foreignworkers are not eligible for STEP.
- Returning to high school or a post-secondary by November 1, 2019. Please note college and university students mustbe enrolled in a program that will result in a certificate, diploma or degree. Technical training for apprenticeship is noteligible.
• Excellent skills in communications (verbal and written) and customer service.
- Must be proficient with computers, especially MS Office, particularly for students applying for Office Work.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are pursuing a post-secondary education and/or have some experience relating to the position for which you are applying.